Can a seller change terms after a purchase contract is signed?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a seller change terms after a purchase contract is signed?

The seller advertised certain HOA fees and did not disclose that they were not approved by the DRE at the time of contract signing. After close to a month has passed, the seller sends my agent an e-mail stating that water is not included though originally advertised. Their reasoning was that “there is a line item for water but each unit will be billed in addition to the HOA fee.” The HOA fee also increased. My agent has been requesting the HOA documents since contract signing. The seller keeps giving us the run-around and saying that they will provide the approved information “tomorrow.”

Asked on August 29, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Typically the seller cannot change the terms of an agreed to written agreement for the sale of real estate. The parties are bound by the terms as agreed with a slated date of close.

In your situation, the purchase price for the unit is what the parties have agreed to in the agreement and the agreement controls. If there is now a disclosure that the property purchased does not come with certain items as represented that it would have such as water being included in certain monthly association fees, then there is the possibility that you overpaid for the property based upon what was initially represented.

The documentation provided you after close should have been provided to you prior to close and your real estate agent should have made sure that you had this information in hand before closing.

You should consult with a competent real estate attorney regarding this problem.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption