Can a school withhold my transcripts because of a contract entered into with my father when I was a minor?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a school withhold my transcripts because of a contract entered into with my father when I was a minor?

In my last year of high school I was expelled from my private school and my father refused to pay the tuition for my incomplete last semester. I was a minor at the time. Now almost 4 years later I am an adult and need my transcripts from this school. The school is withholding my transcripts because of the remaining unpaid tuition. The debt however is not mine but my father’s. Is there any way to get my transcripts?

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Technically, the debt owed the school for unpaid tution is both yours and your father's under the law of all states in this county. If your father signed a contract on your behalf concerning the private school that you attended and failed to pay your tuition as agreed and there is a requirement for paid tuition to get the transcripts, your former school can legally withhold your school transcripts from you until the tuition owed is paid in full.

I suggest that if you or your father have the funds to pay the unpaid tuition that you pay the amount owed so you can get your transcripts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption