Can a salaried employee not be compensated for time out of work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a salaried employee not be compensated for time out of work?

I recently had surgery. I will be released to go back to work tomorrow. The company I work for will not allow me to come back to work until the pay period is over so they do not have to pay me for time I was not at work. Can they do this if I have the doctor’s release?

Asked on September 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely they can do this. The employer, not the employee, decides when someone works and can choose to not let an employee come into work (the same way they could simply terminate an employee, if that person's employment were not guaranteed or protected by a written employment contract). Salaried employees do not need to be paid for any full days they do not work (if they work at all a day, they must be paid). The employer could tell the employee to not come in so as to not pay them; you could think of it as suspension or furloughing without pay, which the employer may do. The doctor's release has no powe or authority over the employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption