Can a revocable trust be revoked without using an attorney?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a revocable trust be revoked without using an attorney?

 If so, how?

Asked on January 18, 2011 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can revoke a revocable trust if you are the grantor of the trust.  Only the grantor of the trust can revoke it.  Now, the trust was I assume "funded" with various assets.  These assets should have been re-titled or re deeded (if property) in the name of the trust when they were transferred.  Well now they have to again be re-titled and re deeded in the name of the individual to defund the trust.  You will also have to file a document called a Revocation of Living Trust.  Although you can indeed do this on your own I would not suggest preparing a deed, etc., without professional help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption