Can a recruitment agency ask for revocation of green card?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a recruitment agency ask for revocation of green card?

I have been sponsored by my current employer for green card. I signed an undertaking with the recruitment agency that basically states that i am obligating myself to pay them a certain amount if i do not fulfill the terms of my employment contract and institute action that will affect my immigration status. I don’t have an employment contract with my employer. I only signed an acceptance of the job offer. Now that I am planning to resign. .

Asked on June 24, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for a "headhunter" recruiting agency to ask the INS to have one's green card revoked over some payment dispute with you but such a request could be an actionable civil tort by you against it allowing you to file a lawsuit against it for interfering with your legal status in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption