Can a property sell without paying off a federal tax lien??

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a property sell without paying off a federal tax lien??

in 2006 i sold my house believing that an $11,888 tax lien would be paid off. my closing papers show this to be the case, the papers are marked ‘Final.’ however, the irs claims never to have received this money. the title co went out of business but someone is researching for me – she has so far sent another ‘Final’ closing statement which i’ve never seen before that shows no lien payment, or even the property tax payments which were outstanding at the time. Can there be two Final Closing Statements? can property be sold without paying off a federal lien? something certainly s

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Something sounds wrong but the IRS can make mistakes, trust me on this.  what you need to do?  Go to the closing attorney, or broker or lender, and get your entire file.  Then, contact your State's Dept of Financial Institutions and the California Attorney General.  File complaints through each and see if either can help with the IRS issue.

If that fails, try, look for a real estate attorney or tax attorney and then check his or her record at under attorney search.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption