Can a probation officer tell you to move from your current residence based on personal judgement of safety?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a probation officer tell you to move from your current residence based on personal judgement of safety?

I live in a shared household and my probation officer is trying to get me to move because of her personal judgement in safety however, there are no legal issues preventing me from being safe. is this legally ok for her to do?

Asked on January 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your probation officer can tell you to move from your current residence based upon his or her opinions concerning your safety. However, whether you choose to follow the suggestion of moving or not is entirely up to you. You are under no legal obligation to move based upon your conditions of probation issued by the court.

From what you have written, there is nothing illegal with what your probation officer told you. He or she is simply voicing an opinion with respect to safety issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption