Can a probation officer legally give out a UA to a DHS worker or to any other state worker without a written consent?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a probation officer legally give out a UA to a DHS worker or to any other state worker without a written consent?

Granpa tested postive for THC and prbation officer gave information to DHS worker,who has temporary custody of grandchildren,but are in home of another?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, Iowa


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't understand.  If Grandpa is under probation for something and part of his probation condition is to be subject to Urine Analysis, and he tests positive, then:

1. His probation can be revoked;

2. If there are children living with grandpa, state law may require him to report to DHS.  I am unsure what you mean by DHS worker has custody but are in home of another.  Are the kids illegally living with someone? Is it the grandfather?

You need to speak to legal aid about this one.  Try legal aid in your county.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption