Can a previous employer ban me from access to their site?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a previous employer ban me from access to their site?

I was fired by a public utility for allegations of
sexual harassment and fraud. Now I am a
vendor wanting to do business on the site. My
employer has been requested to perform work
for the public utility. However the utility has
banned me from site access. Do I have any
legal standing to access the site?

Asked on May 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you have no legal standing to request access. There is no inherent right to access a former employee's site or work locations, and an employer may ban former employees who it views as disruptive or inappropriate, such as those whom it believes (and it  does *not* need to prove) engaged in sexual harassment or fraud. Just as you could keep anyone you like out of your house or you office (if you had you own office), they can ban you from their site(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption