Can a polygraph be used in court if I agree to take it?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a polygraph be used in court if I agree to take it?

A ring was taken and several people are in question but I’m the only one that was asked to take the polygraph test.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


John Ryan / Law Offices of John Patrick Ryan

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under no circumstances should you ever talk to the police (or anybody else for that matter).  It is never wise to speak to the police, not ever, not for any reason.  You have two rights here:  (1) to remain silent.  This means that all you can do is keep your "lip zipped", the Constitution does NOT give you the right to try to talk your way out of a bad situation with a cop.  The police are trained to trip you up and to use anything you say against you.  Cops can lie, they can threaten you, they can do almost anything.  Your only defense is to REMAIN SILENT which means "don't say anything."  (2) Your second right is to have an attorney present with your during questioning.  If the cops want to ask you a question, and you say the magic word "attorney" then they have to stop questioning you.  The only way to shut up a cop is to use the magic word "attorney".  That's it.  Don't talk to the cops.  Call a lawyer and insist that your lawyer be present during any questioning.  I can't tell you how many clients that I have shot themselves in the foot because they thought that they could talk their way out of a bad situation.  All they succeeded in doing was to talk themselves into jail.  CALL A LAWYER NOW.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption