Can a police officer disclose information about a minor to the minor’s sport club?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a police officer disclose information about a minor to the minor’s sport club?

My juvenile son was caught by the police smoking marijuana he was released to us and we were told we would get a summons in the mail. That same day the officer in charge took it upon himself to contact my son’s sports club to let them know he was smoking pot and therefore got suspended from the team. Since my son is a juvenile and I did not give the officer permission to disclose the information to anybody was he within his rights just because he is a member of the same sports club?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Law enforcement as part of an ongoing police investigation with respect to your son can legally disclose information about him to his sport club if the information is true. From what you have written it seems that what you have written it appears that that there was nothing improper as to what the police officer did.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption