Can a physician force a patient to sign an abitration agreement

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a physician force a patient to sign an abitration agreement

Can a physician force a patient to sign an arbitration agreement, and if the patient refuses, can the physician refuse treatment and not refer the patient to another physician?

Asked on July 21, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a physician can require a patient to sign an arbitration agreement and, if the patient will not, can refuse treatment. There is no right to treatment by any given doctor; doctors are basically businesses, and can decide on the terms under which they will treat people (the same as they can decide whether to accept insurance and, if so, what insurance). They can also refuse to make a referal, the same way any business can refuse to refer to another business. The patient will have to find another doctor on his/her own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption