Can a person work 2 separate positions w/in the same company without additional hours being considered OT?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person work 2 separate positions w/in the same company without additional hours being considered OT?

I am working in the state of AK. HQ for the firm is in WI. I am in a full time position. I would like to work an additional part time position within the same company. The positions are 2 separate entities/departments.

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


BP, Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking - no.  If both positions are with the same company, then you have to be paid overtime when you work over 40 hours per week per the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).  Your Human Resources contact will be able to tell you more and whether any unusual exceptions exist for your situation.  Note: If your pay is different for each position, calculating that overtime may require weighting the averages of the two.  So, check the amount of your pay to make sure you're being compensated properly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption