Can a person who was in F2 visa and changed status from F2 to F1 inside USA get back to the US using her previous F2 visa?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person who was in F2 visa and changed status from F2 to F1 inside USA get back to the US using her previous F2 visa?

My wife entered into US 2 years ago. Then we applied for change of status from F2 to F1 by taking admission in a community college and that got approved 4 months ago; we got her new I-94. However, she had to go back to our home country, Bangladesh. Then we applied for F1 visa and she faced the embassy in Bangladesh but they rejected to give the F1 visa. Can she get back to US using her F2 visa and corresponding I-20?

Asked on July 2, 2016 under Immigration Law, Louisiana


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

She can return to the US with the F-2 visa but that will make her F-2 status.  In order to get the F-1 status, she will need to file a change of status to F-1 again, wtih all the supporting documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption