Can a person transfer a DUI case if he moves to another state?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person transfer a DUI case if he moves to another state?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I assume you mean transfer an ongoing case to another state.  The only court that has jurisdiction over the case is the state where it accorded. Wherefore, the state that charged you with the DUI has to be the state that resolves it.

However, you can deal with the DUI in another state without ever going back to that state.  Many people get arrested while traveling through a state and never come back.  Usually, it requires filing a motion to excuse your presence or to allow you to appear telephonically.

Lets say you accept a plea to a reduced charge.  The court will usually allow you to plea by affidavit.  That means, you will have to send payments of fines and proof that you completed classes to the court that has jurisdiction.  But, you never have to go back.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption