Can a person sue their grandparents estate for hereditary medical issues?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person sue their grandparents estate for hereditary medical issues?

I have inherited a medical disease that is costing me financial ruin. My aunt and uncle coersed my grandparents to change their Will after my grandparents and dad died and left me out. I can’t afford my medical bills from their bad genes.

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am not aware of any legal theory that would allow you to sue for this.  However, medical malpractice lawyers do not charge for consultations and it would not cost anything to call some and find out what they say.

As to your aunt and uncle "coercing" your grandpartents to change their Will, I cannot comment on this.  If they physically forced them to change the will, you can challenge it.  If they tricked your grandparents into changing the will, you can challenge it.  You will have to consult with a probate litigation lawyer in your area to find out if you have a case for this. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption