Can a person on probation acquire a medical marijuana card if they have multiple sclerosis

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person on probation acquire a medical marijuana card if they have multiple sclerosis

I have multiple sclerosis and I’m on
probation and I have a doctor’s
appointment this Friday with my primary
doctor so I can get a referral to a
medical marijuana doctor

Asked on November 1, 2017 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't. Marijuana laws in this country are schizophrenic: even when a state allows marijuana for medical use, its use and possession is still a federal crime and worse, is still a crime in many of the state's allowing medical use (medical use is a narrow exception to general criminality). Therefore, if you possess marijuana even with a medical referral, it is still a criminal act--e.g. under federal law--and assuming your probation bars criminal acts (as they always, in my experience, do), you will be violating probation to have or use marijuana. You will need to use some other medication.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption