Can a person give Me a three day notice on a rent to own agreemen

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person give Me a three day notice on a rent to own agreemen

I am in a rent to own agreement
and landlord has been making us
pay a different amount then stated
in agreement. The agreement
stated a agreed upon amount. When
I said something about it and I
was only giving him the amount
that we agreed upon he threatened
me with a 3 day notice. There is
more to the situation but this is
our concern. Thank you for your

Asked on December 2, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A rent-to-own agreement is a contract; as long as one party to the contract (i.e. you) are honoring your obligations (e.g. paying the agreed upon amount), the other party (the seller) must honor his or her obligations--i.e. they can't legally evict you. They also cannot unilaterally (on their own) change the agreement, such as by increasing the amount you have to pay. Based on what you write, you should have a good defense; if the owner does try to evict, make sure to go to court on the matter and present the terms of the agreement and the fact that you have been paying the agreed-upon amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption