Can a person be fired for having anxiety attack while on the clock.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person be fired for having anxiety attack while on the clock.

I was recently fired for having an anxiety attack while at the front desk of my
work. I have worked with the company for six years. This was the first time
this has happened, and it was a work related issue that brought the anxiety
attack on. State Washington City Seattle

Asked on July 17, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be terminated for your behavior at work--like having an anxiety attack at the front desk, which can put off, intimidate, or worry coworkers and customers--even if the behavior is due to a medical or psychological condition or is due to a work-related issue. The simple and unfortunate fact is that employment is "employment at will": among other things, this means that an employee may be terminated for disruptive behavior at work regardless of cause.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption