Can a officer change a printed ticket

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a officer change a printed ticket

I forgot to register my car yearly in
Pennsylvania i go pulled over and got a ticket
but some of the fees are already filled in, as
in that’s the way the ticket book comes to the
officer. The officer crossed out the printed in
fee and hand wrote a new price beside it. Is
this legal?

Asked on November 27, 2017 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is legal so long as the corrected fees are in fact the correct ones under the law. Obviously, the officer cannot make up whatever fees he wants; but you can be assessed or charged whatever those fees currently are under the law, and the fact that an out-of-date pre-printed form is being used does not limit the fees or fines you can face. It is common practice to modify pre-printed forms when they do not fit the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption