Can a non profit organization work with a for profit organization and receive contributions from that for-profit organization for services provided?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a non profit organization work with a for profit organization and receive contributions from that for-profit organization for services provided?

An online magazine company wants to provide space for the advancement of mental health education to the community. They are asking if we would post mental health education information on their site for that purpose. Our mission statement is that we provide mental health education and counseling services to the community. They want to contribute a percentage of their profits to our organization in the form of donations. 1. What would the contract entail for an illinois based charitable organization? 2. Can they operate as an affiliation of our organization? 3. Do they need approval from ill?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Business Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not an Illinois lawyer, but I would think having the non-profit receive money for web content services provided to the online magazine company would be entirely appropriate.  Like any other money received by the non-profit, the earnings would have to be spent on legitimate non-profit purposes of the organization.

How far the for-profit company could go in calling itself an affiliate of the not-for-profit, and how far the not-for-profit could allow that, are difficult questions.  For advice you can rely on, you'd need to have all the facts reviewed, by an attorney in your area.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption