Can a NJ divorce judgement garnish wages in PA?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a NJ divorce judgement garnish wages in PA?

I will soon have a judgement against me in my divorce case filed in New Jersey.
The ordered payment is too much for me to handle and the judge will not lower the
payment and has stated he will put into a judgement against me. I live and work
in PA. Can that judgement garnish my wages parallel to my child support also
being garnished? If so, is there a maximum percent of gross/net income allowed?

Asked on July 18, 2019 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Yes, every state will enforce every other state's judgments, including those from a divorce, and will do so by garnishment if the state allows wage garnishment. PA does allow it for alimony, child support, and taxes, so your wages can be garnished in PA. There are some extra procedural steps that have to be taken to have a NJ jugment enforced in PA--it does not happen automatically--but it is possible.
2) A total of 25% of your wages can be garnished in PA (i.e. a total of 25% for all garnishment) unless you are below the federal poverty line--if you, there is no garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption