can a nieghbor put up posts and tape on what he thinks is the property line?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a nieghbor put up posts and tape on what he thinks is the property line?

I called the police on neighbor because of his loud constant radio all day long I cant even enjoy a cup of coffee on my patio, his retaliation was to put fence post with yellow reflective tape on them where he thinks the property line is, in the process he was on my property removed a temp. gate to keep granddaughter contained in the yard, trampled my newly planted grass and nailed a piece of wood with large nails into a tree on my property to hold said tape up. all this is on video camera taken while I was at work. Ive tried dealing with him on my own but I am at my wits end with this guyHow should I handle this?

Asked on August 1, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You can file charges against him for trespassing: he has no right to come onto your land.
2) You can sue him for the cost to repair or remediate anything which he damaged (e.g. any of your landscaping): he is liable for any damage done during his trespass.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption