can a new owner sell a house once you paid a deposit on it

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a new owner sell a house once you paid a deposit on it

The original owner went into foreclosure and turn the house over to his
girlfriend. They offer the same price but trying to rush me due to them taking a
hard money loan. I’ve given her 7,000 dollars so far. Can she sell to some one

Asked on August 26, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written contract to buy the house, she cannot sell to anyone else if you have provided any deposits, etc. required by the contract (i.e. you are in compliance with your obligations). Note that you need a written contract: oral (unwritten) contracts for the sale of real estate are not enforceable. There are some legal doctrines that would let you get your money back were she to sell to someone else--she can't keep your money without selling to you--but you could not stop her selling to another.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption