Can a new doctor charge me for work done by the doctor that he bought the practice from?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a new doctor charge me for work done by the doctor that he bought the practice from?

I went to a dentist about 3 years ago and had no idea that my insurance didn’t cover the cavities I had

filled. They then charged me and I made payments on the bill but I fell onto hard times. The doctor then died and a new dentist bought the office. They continued trying to charge me. Every time I recieve a bill the new doctor’s named is whited out.

Asked on March 5, 2018 under Business Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

When the new dentist bought the original dentist's practice, the new dentist took over all aspects of the dental practice including the prior dentist's assets and debts including patient accounts.  Therefore, you are still liable for the bill you incurred with the previous dentist. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption