Can a mobile home park landlord deny me a rental agreementif Ihave been paying monthly on the old one for a year?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a mobile home park landlord deny me a rental agreementif Ihave been paying monthly on the old one for a year?

I inherited a mobile home from grandmother and have been paying the rent on old agreement for over a year. That agreement has ended but management has not made any offer for a new one and denies my requests for a new one. I would like to bring roommates into the new agreement. The landlord says anyone I want to put on rental agreement must also be part owner and have good credit.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The landloord for the mobile home park where the unit is located can refuse to enter into a term lease with you where you are paying on a month-to-month lease. The landlord is under no legal or contractual obligation to change the terms of the status quo of the rental situation.

Likewise, the landlord can refuse to rent to anyone who is not an owner of the unit you are writing about. However, most likely, you can enter into a sublease between you and another person to rent a room in the unit you presently occupy. To be sure, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption