Can a man legally marry his stepaunt?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a man legally marry his stepaunt?

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a man can legally marry his step aunt.

The only restrictions on whom a person may marry relate to blood relatives--obviously children and siblings, but also generally including at least some cousins or aunts and uncles by blood.

However, a step aunt is not a blood relation. So long as it is not a blood relation, it does not matter  what the relationship is called or how close it is. Woody Allen, after all, married a woman with whom he had what many would consider a father-daughter relationship--but he was *not* her father. So as long as the only relationship  in this case is through marriage and not by blood, there should be no impediment to marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption