Can a man convicted of killing my sister when they both lived together for several years receive property she inherited?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a man convicted of killing my sister when they both lived together for several years receive property she inherited?

A title company in TX says according to state law, an incarcerated man in NM, convicted of killing my sister while they both lived in and were residents there, has a legal right to property my sister inherited in TX and he must now receive proceeds from the sale of that

property. An employee with that title company says he has a sworn affidavit that the convict and my sister were legally married but the police department in NM where my sister was killed told me that the convict was actually still legally married to another woman when he and my sister lived together. NM state records show there is no marriage license between the convicted man and my sister.

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help ASAP.  You need to bring an action against the title company prohibiting them from distributing the funds to that individual and "interpleading" the funds in to court to allow time to sort out the issues here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption