Can a company prevent a terminated employee from filing an appeal with the company regarding their termination?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company prevent a terminated employee from filing an appeal with the company regarding their termination?

I was terminated from a well-known retail store 2 weeks ago. I knew that a customer had complained a couple of weeks prior to management that I was being ” aggresive”. The assistant manager who fired me told me that the customer was filing charges; I knew nothing about this. I was told by this manager that the video of the incident did not show that I was being aggressive. She could not make the decision about my fate, so they left it to the next higher manager. That manager the decision to fire me. At my request I was given the name and number of the person to contact to appeal. As of today calls have not been returned.

Asked on January 19, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I assume that the appeal that you are referring to is an in-house appeal to a higher up authority at your former employer (as oppossed to an apeal with your state's labor board).  That being the case, unfortunately you have no rights to such an appeal.  That is unless you have an employment contract or union agreement allowing you to do so, or company policy provides for this.  Additionally, if you have been denied this right due to some form of workplace discrimination you may have a claim.

Basically, most employment relationships are what is known as "at will", which means that you can choose to work for an employer or not, and an employer can hire or fire you for any reason, a bad reason, or no reason .  While seemingly unfair it's the law.

Note:  An employer can not prvent an employee from pursing an appeal with a state labor board.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption