Can a lawyer speed up a court date for an amicable divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a lawyer speed up a court date for an amicable divorce?

My brother and his wife have been separated for a while. They don’t want anything from each

other just to divorce. No lawyers are involved, they just filed paperwork with the court themselves. The papers were filed 9 weeks ago and they said it could take up 12 weeks to receive a court date. The problem is my brother has since found a new girlfriend and they are supposed to be married in a few weeks. He’s nervous that the divorce won’t be finalized before the wedding. As I said before, they are both on the same page, don’t want anything from each other, just want the divorce. Is there any way that a lawyer could speed up the court date or get the divorce finalized


Asked on September 13, 2017 under Family Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An attorney won't be able to speed up the court date or get the divorce finalized sooner. 
These items depend on the court's schedule.  Unfortunately, there isn't any way to accelerate the process whether you are represented by an attorney or are representing yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption