Can a landlord shut off the hot water?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord shut off the hot water?

My father-in -aw lives in an apartment that he pays week by week. He has no hot water. He has also had a broken window in is room for the last few years. The landlord will not fix it and says she will kick him out if he asks to get it fixed. There is no lease because; it is kind of like a motel. He has been living there for at least 3 plus years. Is there anything we can do?

Asked on February 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your Father in lawfits under the guidelines of the elderly then he needs to go to seek help from legal services agencies as he is a protected person.  Now, with out a lease he is a week to week tenant and one week's notice is all the landlord would have to give him.  But the longevity of his stay may be an advantage.  She can not deny services or repairs for any reason.  It is just that the type of establishment it is will have a bearing on the matter. Please seek legal help.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption