Can a landlord sell or show the house thatI am renting from him?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord sell or show the house thatI am renting from him?

I rented a house with a 1 year lease a month ago. Now the landlord is trying to sell and show the house. I have paid everything on time. Can they let realtors show the house? Do I have the right to say no to the realtors wanting to show the house?

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country there are statutes allowing a landlord access to his or her rental based upon reasonable notice to the tenant. In most states, a 24 hour notice to the tenant for access is deemed reasonable notice.

In most cases, a landlord needs access to make repairs to a rental, do maintenance, show the property for sale or show the property for rental. What you have written about the landlord's desires for access to his property is a legitimate reason for his or her entry into your rental.

The landlord is entitled to let the real estate agents in the home upon reasonable notice and you have no legitimate reason to refuse the request.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption