Can a landlord make me responsible for damages to a common area of my apartment building that were caused by my guests?

UPDATED: May 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord make me responsible for damages to a common area of my apartment building that were caused by my guests?

At the apartment that I currently rent, the front doors to the building have vertical rods that are depressed to exit the building. One evening upon returning with some friends, one of the members of my party held onto this rod from the inside of the building, while I attempted to pull the door open to gain access from the outside. The rod subsequently became detached from the door, and my landlord has said that I am responsible for the damages. When the door was broken, I did notify them that members of my party had broken the door, in a good faith attempt to be a responsible tenant.

Asked on May 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a tenant is responsible to the landlord for damage to the property (including to common areas) which is caused by the tenant, the tenant's family or pets, and the tenant's guests. You are responsible for damage done by those you allow or permit onto the premises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption