Can a landlord keep cattle in lieu of pasture rent?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord keep cattle in lieu of pasture rent?

I leased a pasture 7 months ago on a verbal agreement, no written lease. I got divorced 3 months later and can’t pay the rent. My landlord locked the gate and won’t allow me access to my cattle. County Attorney won’t help.

Asked on November 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A landlord cannot use self help to prevent his or her tenant from getting access to the tenant's property in the event that the tenant is behind in rent. In your situation, the landlord is required to provide you access to your cattle even though you may be behind in rent for the pasturage of your animals.

I suggest that you write a letter to your landlord requesting access to your animals by a set date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use. If you do not get access to your animals by the demanded date, your options are to bring a legal action against your landlord.

You may wish to consult with a landlord tenant attorney further about your question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption