Can a landlord give you a verbal 24 hour notice without prior warning?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord give you a verbal 24 hour notice without prior warning?

Also, how long do they have to wait for payment before starting the eviction process? I am not even 3 weeks late yet.

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the 24 hour notice that you are writing about is for the termination of your tenancy, under the laws of all states in this country you are required to receive at least a thirty (30) day written notice that your lease is being terminated by your landlord.

If you are late in paying rent the landlord's option is a three (3) day notice to pay or quit or a thirty (30) day notice of termination of your tenancy. Given the uncertainties that you are writing about I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your matter sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption