Can a landlord force a tenant to pay for an annual service contract on a furnace?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord force a tenant to pay for an annual service contract on a furnace?

Our landlord just presented us with a lease renewal and he changed one major provision, that the maintenance of the furnace is now our responsibility and that we are required to purchase a service contract with his oil provider. I called the oil provider and the annual fee is $249.

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, if a landlord wants to place a provision in the written lease agreement such as the tenant being responsible for paying the annual service contract on the rented unit's furnace and the tenants sign the agreement, such provision is legally binding upon all parties to the lease.

There is nothing illegal about such a provision. If you do not want to sign the agreement with the provision, the landlord cannot force you to do so. But if you do not sign the lease as written, the landord may lease the rental to some other person who will sign the lease with the annual service contract provision in it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption