Can a landlord for an office suite contact your former employer or former colleagues informing them of “possible legal actions”?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord for an office suite contact your former employer or former colleagues informing them of “possible legal actions”?

I have a business where I leased an office suite from a company. I moved out this month due to their threatening me that if I didn’t pay my rent by due date, I would be kicked out despite the fact that they approved a 2 installment plan. In efforts to contact me, they contacted my previous employer and colleagues exposing my personal info and details of our situation telling them there is legal pending action against me. I don’t know whether to pursue legal action against them or not for defamation as this act is highly effective on my business and repuation.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible that your landlord can contact a former employer or employees with respect to a possible legal action against you concerning a rental. However, from a business perspective such would be poor judgment on the former landlord's part albeit legal.

Most people simply do not want to get caught up in a dispute involving others. I suggest that you may want to consult with a commercial landlord tenant attorney about the situation you are in before it gets out of hand.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption