Can a landlord evict you even if your rent is paid and you have caused no damages?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord evict you even if your rent is paid and you have caused no damages?

My landlord is trying to get me to move out. We have no lease but we have paid our rent and have caused no damage, or disturbances. Can they do that? And if so, how long do we have before we have to move?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are on a month-to-month lease, your landlord can seek to have your lease terminated and you rent somewhere else even if your have been a stellar tenant paying your rent timely and not causing any damages or disturbances.

Potentially the landlord may want family members to move into the unit, may wish to remodel it, or place it on the market.

In most states a landlord is required to give at least thirty (30) days written notice of any intent to terminate a tenant's lease sent to the tenant. This notice allows the tenant time to seek a new place to live and pack up his or her belongings and move.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption