Can a landlord discloseincorrect personal information?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord discloseincorrect personal information?

I went to go rent another apartment and they faxed over a letter for the apartments that I live at now to fill out. One of the questions was, “Has tenant ever disrupted other tenants?” The lady in the office where I live now marked yes and took it upon herself to write in, “Yes tenant was involved in police activity, had guns” Of course this was not true so I was furious when I saw this. The truth of what really happened was that I called the police on a neighbor who threatened me with a gun. I was the victim. Did they break the law by writing this?

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A landlord can disclose incorrect personal information about a tenant whuch obviously happened in your situation. Whether or not this was proper, the answer is "no."

However, an explanation by the landlord would be that he or she simply got the facts involving the incident that you called in about wrong. Had you actually been involved in police activity where you brandished or had use of a firearm, most likely the prior landlord would have evicted you.

I would contact your former landlord and ask him or her to clarify the statement that is incorrect that you are writing about for future reference in applications for another tenancy. I do not see your prior landlord breaking the law by writing what was written per se. I see some error in the relay of facts as to what transpired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption