Can a landlord deny me the right to babysit 2 toddlers because of insurance concerns?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord deny me the right to babysit 2 toddlers because of insurance concerns?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are leasing a residential apartment or unit, the landlord can prevent you from using that space for a business, including a home-based business like babysitting--you are only entitled to use a residence as a residence, and if you try to use it for a commercial use, then the landlord could very likely evict you. Alternately, the landlord could require you to get and provide proof  of the correct type and amount of insurance, naming the landlord as a payee, to make sure he is protected, as a conditon of allowing you to babysit.

If you are not babysitting for money (e.g. babysitting a family member's children), the landlord should not be able to stop you from doing this unless there is some specific term in the written lease which you signed which would bar the babysitting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption