Can a landlord be a Social Security Income payee?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord be a Social Security Income payee?

A family member was misusing my income and I wanted to change my payee. I trust my landlord and know she has my best interest in mind. Is it legal for her to be my payee?

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Business Law, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can make anyone your payee but I am unsure why you would have a person who has a vested interest in your income be the payee. Consider speaking to a credit counselor (usually free in your neighborhood) and see what your options are in terms of this money. Further, you may also wish to talk to this person or get a referral to legal aid to sue the person who was misusing your income since he or she was in a fiduciary position by being the payee to your income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption