Can a job use my juvenile record not to give me the job

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a job use my juvenile record not to give me the job

I had several interviews with a company
and they ran my cori only to come up
with my juvenile record an made me
draft email explaining what happened
in 1995. And when I call to see what
the results were they give me the run

Asked on August 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A job can use essentially anything against you (including a juvenile record) that is not your race, color, national origin, sex, age over 40, religion, or disability. Apart from laws prohibiting discrimination (e.g. a refusal to hire) for those reasons stated above, all employment in this country is "employment at will": an employer may decline to hire you for any reason, including a JV record, an  adult criminal record, your political views, the fact that you like--or don't like--"Game of Thrones," your tatoos or haircut or shirt, etc. Except for those few categories protected by law, employers may based hiring decisions on anything at all. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption