Can a job drop me to part time and lower my pay if I have a note from dr. To do different job for last 2 months of pregnancy?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a job drop me to part time and lower my pay if I have a note from dr. To do different job for last 2 months of pregnancy?

Come Feb 1st I’ll have 2 months before
baby is due. And I’m gonna need to get a
dr. Not to change my position the job I
do now is alot of bending and lifting
and walking around. I told them it’s
getting to much and they wont listen to
me. I’ve been told I would lose my pay
if had to switch departments due to
being to much on me at the end.

Asked on January 4, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this. While an employer must give an employee a "reasonable accommodation" to a proven employee disability, a "reasonable accommodation" is some change that allows the employee to do the core or important parts of his or her job. If the employee can't do the important parts of his or her job, than the requested accommodation is not reasonable--you must still be able to fundamentally do the job. There is no right to be given a different job or duties at the same pay/hours. So if you can't bend, lift, walk around, etc., but your job requires these things, they don't need to pay you to not do the job they hired you to do. They can instead reduce your hours and/or change your position; could require you to go out on FMLA leave (assuming you are eligible for it); or could even terminate you. Remember: you are paid to do a specific job: if you can't do that job, the employer doesn't need to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption