Can a hospital send your account to collections even if you are making payments on it?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a hospital send your account to collections even if you are making payments on it?

If so, what is the best thing to do after it is sent? I have several outstanding hospital bills that were grouped together and I have been making a $75 a month payment. I just received a collection notice for some of the accounts and called the hospital not understanding. They told me that even though I was making a payment my payment arrangement had expired and so they sent it to collections. They stated they sent me a letter but I know I never received this. What can I do? I have really good credit and am so afraid that this will ruin everything?

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In your situation the accounts receivables department for the hospital that you owe money to can and did send your account to collections even though you were making monthly payments of $75.00,

The best way to handle the matter now is to try and work into another written agreement with the collection company to make monthly payments on this bill in an amount that you can afford.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption