Can a HOA BOD restrict owners’ access into an unsecured gated community by removing the owners’ keypunch access leaving only remote control entry?

UPDATED: May 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a HOA BOD restrict owners’ access into an unsecured gated community by removing the owners’ keypunch access leaving only remote control entry?

Non-secure entry gate has two modes of entry: console & remote control device. HOA BOD has issued a letter stating the keypunch access at gate console will be terminated in 30 days. This issue was not discussed with the general membership nor sent out for a vote. Also, BOD is selling additional remotes, over and above the one unit given at closing, for $30/unit. The cost of each unit is $25. We are supposed to be a non-profit org.

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You have just discovered the downsides of an HOA.  Okay, yes, this is a non-profit.

1. You need to get your HOA bylaws and Articles and review closely to determine if these two types of actions can in any be construed as to be in the bylaws as not needing a vote or selling for above the cost.  As to the above cost issue, does $30.00 perhaps represent the device plus shipping?

2.  This is sticky -- you need to see if there is a mechanism in the bylaws to allow you to override these votes or hold an emergency meeting to take over the meeting or void these actions.

3.  If not, then you need to seek alternatives.  Read up on HOA laws in your state; this link will be your key:

4. Hire counsel.  Try and check his or her record at the Washington State State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption