Can a guest sue your homeowner’s insurance company if he was drunk and at fault for an injury?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a guest sue your homeowner’s insurance company if he was drunk and at fault for an injury?

We had a friend come stay with us out of town. He brought a girlfriend who was intoxicated. She bent over to pet our puppy husky and the dog jump on her lap and bump her in the mouth. She states her tooth was knock back. We all looked at mouth everything seemed fine and she continued to drink heavily all weekend. They left and then 2 weeks later, she claimed that she went to the dentist and her front tooth died. She asked her boyfriend if we owned the house and stated that she will be suing our homeowner;s insurer.

Asked on February 15, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, since she was injured on your property, despite being drunk, she can file a claim with your homeowners insurance carrier for her dental bill, pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the dental bill, and wage loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption