Can a gift of a house be taken back?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a gift of a house be taken back?

My late grandfather’s wife offered to buy me and my family a house within a certain price range we just had to find a house. She told me several times that she wanted nothing in return for this and that the house would be mine outright. So she hired a realtor to help find us a house. We finally found a house that fit the price range ,and she asked me if that is truly the house I wanted and if it was so she would purchase it for me and again she expressed that this is a gift to you and your family. I just recently found out that she sold the house that was gifted to me that we have been living in for 2 years. I found this out by receiving a eviction notice from the new owner. Can she really do this?

Asked on March 15, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so, so, sorry for your situation.  If she never put the title in your name then she is - or was - the legal owner and she can do with the house as she please.  All agreements as to real estate MUST be in writing.  I would seek consultation from an attorney in your area to be sure that any paperwork you may have could help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption