What can I do about unpaid wages?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about unpaid wages?

I recently worked for a framing company but left because my employer was moving his company to a location which was to far of a trip for me. While I was working there, he had me helping the sub-crew that he hired. He told me that he would still be the one who gave me my check but after I left he never gave me my last check. He stated that he gave it to the sub-crew owner, which he didn’t because I contacted the owner who is also a friend of mine. I heard he’s done this to many people and I want to know how do I go about getting my money?

Asked on November 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former employer for breach of contract / account stated. The contract here is your employment contract.
Depending on the amount you are owed, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court. In addition to the amount you are owed, you can recover court costs if you prevail in the case. Court costs include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption