Can a finance company give out loan information?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a finance company give out loan information?

I have a current loan with a finance company. This loan is in my name only. Specific loan information was given to my husband. That the loan was past due. How much was owed. When next payment due. Was this legal. This has caused a lot of tension between us.

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the loan that you obtained was solely in your name and not your husband's, then under privacy laws under all states in this country, for the lending institution to provide your husband with information pertaining solely as to your loan obligation seemingly was inappropriate and in violation of most state privacy laws.

However, if you live in a community property state, the lending institution most likely was allowed to provide such information to your husband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption