Can a felony DUI conviction be reduced and expunged?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a felony DUI conviction be reduced and expunged?

Where I work is being re-licenced by state licencing and all the employees are being fingerprinted. If I am successful in court, what will any background check show? I am going to court next week to have this done and want to know. In CA. 

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the certain circumstances a prior conviction in California can be expunged. If the motion to expunge the prior conviction is granted then for all intents and purposes the conviction of the crime never happened.

I suggest that if you are serious about looking into possibility of having your prior driving under the influence conviction expunged that you consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who has experience with these types of motions. Not all motions to expunge are granted. Factors are how long ago was the conviction, the type of conviction, what the person has done since and if there were any subsequent criminal matters.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption